Skip To Content
University Housing - Florida State University

University Housing

University Housing Florida State University
Housing banner image

Housing FAQs

Contract for Housing

Housing contracts are available to students after they have been formally admitted to FSU. Admitted students can contract electronically by accessing our online contract available on our website. Students may also visit the Housing Office, located in the Student Life Center, and fill out a hard copy of the Housing Contract.

To be considered for an invitation to a Living–Learning Community, you must submit first your Housing Contract and $225 prepayment, then an online application for each Living–Learning Community of interest to you. Please see our Living–Learning Community webpage for additional information.

Yes. If admitted to both programs, you may participate in the University Honors Program while living in a Living–Learning Community; however, if you accept an invitation to a Living–Learning Community you will not be able to live in the designated Honors Hall.

Only those students who have been accepted into the FSU Honors Program are eligible to reside in the Honors hall. Non–honors students will only be eligible to reside in Landis Hall after all Honors student requests have been exhausted.

Students with Summer B housing contracts will be notified of their assignment in mid–June, shortly before move-in. Fall assignments for new students will be sent out in early July.

In some instances, students who submit their housing contracts later in the process for on-campus housing may not be assigned to a space in the first round of assignments. Historically, throughout the summer, a number of students who have completed housing contracts will make decisions to cancel their admission or attend another institution, thus opening up spaces for students waiting to be assigned. University Housing will carefully consider trends from previous years and will communicate with students throughout the summer with status updates. NOTE: Not having an assignment is not grounds for cancellation of the Housing Contract.

On–Campus Living

All summer and fall room assignments are made based on your contract number. If you request a specific roommate and they also request you, we will use the later/higher contract number of your roommate pair for assignment purposes. In some instances, we are unable to honor roommate requests due to space availability, or special programs.

Your roommate's email is listed with your housing assignment in your myHousing portal. It's a good idea to try to get to know your roommate by calling or emailing. Tell your roommate about yourself, your expectations, and your commitment to the roommate relationship. Be sure to agree upon who is bringing what for the room or at least a time to discuss it later. You and your roommate may wish until move–in to make purchases for the room. There are several shops and discount stores in town that can help you find just what is needed for the room.

Each resident brings a different set of expectations. To encourage open communication, all residents discuss and sign a roommate agreement at the beginning of the fall term and any time there is a change in residence status in the room. When roommates are unable to resolve a situation on their own, a mediator is called upon to help. In mediation, an objective person, usually a University Housing staff member, acts as a referee to ensure that strong feelings do not hinder the process and that roommates follow the rules. In the extreme cases in which mediation fails, arbitration will be used. In this process roommates agree beforehand to honor the arbitrator's decision. This binding decision may entail one or more roommates moving to another room. Students requesting to move to another room are obligated to their current room assignment until University Housing is able to find space available to accommodate the move.

Linens are not provided so you'll want to bring your own sheets, pillowcases, towels, blankets and pillows. We recommend extra-long twin sheets. Most students also bring a shower curtain. For a full list of what to bring, please click here.

Florida State University (FSU) provides housing accommodations for students with a documented qualifying medical, physical or psychological disability on a case-by-case basis. To be considered for a housing accommodation, please follow the deadlines and instructions for submitting documentation on the Office of Accessibility Services website (OAS) here.

Guests are permitted in the halls only at the request of residents, who then become responsible for their visitors' conduct. All guests must abide by University and hall regulations applicable to the resident host. Guests may stay overnight in student rooms provided that each resident of the room/apartment gives his or her permission. Guests may not stay in University Housing for more than three days in any thirty–day period.

Each hall has a call box at the front door. From this box, guests can dial the student's phone number to ask the student to come down to open the door. If the guest does not have the resident's number, he or she can call the front desk receptionist number, which is posted at the call box. Because of our commitment to campus safety, guests will not be allowed to wait for the student in the resident's room if the resident is not present. However, guests can wait in the hall lobby.

Suite style halls are closed during the breaks at the end of each semester. Although students are not allowed in the buildings during Winter and Spring breaks, they are not required to remove their belongings from their rooms, so long as they have not been granted a room change. The halls remain open during Thanksgiving.

Apartment style buildings remain open during winter and spring breaks.

Services & Amenities

Students are not required to purchase a dining membership, but many choose to do so. All residence halls contain kitchens for use by residents of the hall. Cooking is permitted in the residence hall kitchens. Residents are responsible for cleaning their refrigerator on a regular basis and before rooms are vacated.

All residence hall rooms are wired for connection to the campus network, the Internet, etc. Many residents bring personal computers to campus. Computer users will need an Ethernet card and cable to connect computers to the available wall jacks. There is at least one port in each room. For information on obtaining an FSU account and getting connected in the FSU residence halls, go the Guide for Computing Resources at

Students are ultimately responsible for ensuring that others cannot access their information on the network. Tampering with and unlawfully accessing someone else's computer files is a felony.

Every hall has laundry facilities for resident student use. Laundry rooms are for the use of resident students only and all machines are FSUCard operated.

Mail & Packages

U.S. mail is delivered to the FSU Post Office located at 206 S. Woodward Ave. Address U.S. mail to:
Student Name
206 S. Woodward Ave # _____
Tallahassee , FL 32304

Packages being delivered by USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. should be addressed to the student's U.S. mail address provided above. Packages will be accepted by the UPS Store at 206 S. Woodward Ave. When packages arrive students will be notified with an email. Student will need a picture ID to pick up their package.

Students must contract with the UPS Store in the Oglesby Union to have packages delivered prior to hall opening. There is a charge for this service. Please visit their website for additional details:

For deliveries from local florists please use the following address format. These will be accepted to the residence hall office where the student lives. The address for deliveries of this nature is:

Student's Name
Room Number and Hall
Street Name (see list below)
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306

*The hall receptionist will accept delivery on the student's behalf and will e-mail residents when deliveries arrive.

For Street Names for individual halls, click here.

For food orders (i.e., pizza) as well as Instacart and food service deliveries, students should provide the name of their residence hall. Food delivery drivers should be made to the main door of the residence hall where vendors have access to the outside phone. Students must come downstairs to pay for and pickup their order.

University Housing Policies

According to University policy, alcohol may not be consumed in public and common areas of residence halls. Alcoholic beverage consumption is allowed only in the room where residents are 21 or older. Displaying intoxicated behavior or possessing decorative alcohol containers is prohibited for residents of any age.


Yes. Parking, however, is very limited. If you plan to bring a car, be prepared to park some distance from your residence hall. You must have a parking decal to park on campus. For more information, contact Parking Services at (850) 644-5278, or visit their website at

Yes. If you plan to bring a bicycle to campus, bring a strong lock or chain to secure your bicycle to the bicycle pads outside the residence hall. Bicycles may be stored in student rooms after roommates provide consent. You are advised to register your bicycle with the FSUPD.

Yes, the University provides a bus shuttle for the campus and surrounding areas. Further information may be obtained by contacting Parking Services at (850) 644-5278, or at

Housing Facility Management

The maximum wattage for microwaves is 700 Watts. Microwaves can be utilized in the resident rooms.

Toasters are only allowed to be used in the kitchens. Kitchens are provided in the buildings. Please see the building section of the webpage for building specific information.

No, University Housing provides one refrigerator for each room. Two are provided for residents living in rooms designated as triples, except in Cawthon where one larger refrigerator is provided. If an additional refrigerator is necessary due to a medical condition, please submit the required medical documentation based on information here by the appropriate deadline.

The suite style rooms have small refrigerators with small freezers. Each refrigerator is 4.0 cubic feet. Residents in apartment style facilities have a full size refrigerator for each apartment.

Yes, but they must be no more than 700 watts.

Extension cords should only be used to get more length to reach an outlet. Only one item should be used per extension cord. It is recommended that multiple outlet strips, with a built in breaker, be used instead of extention cords. Do not plug one outlet strip into another outlet strip.

The suite style residence halls have residents from two connected rooms share a toilet and shower. The sink is located in the resident room. These bathrooms are cleaned prior to the residence hall opening and at the Winter Break. The residents are responsible for cleaning on a regular basis.

Bryan and Jennie Murphree have mattresses that are 36" x 76". All remaining halls have mattresses that are 36"x 80". If you purchase extra-long twin sheets, they will fit on either mattress size. If you later change halls, you would not have to replace your sheets.

All beds are adjustable to allow storage under the bed. The top adjustment will allow 30 inches of vertical storage under the spring. Also, these beds can be bunked. Please contact your Facilities Supervisor if you do not have bunking pins in your room. The beds in Salley Hall are adjustable but due to configuration of the suite, the beds will normally remain bunked.

The Inter–Residence Hall Council (IRHC) sells carpets for the residence hall rooms. A flyer should be sent to your permanent address during the summer for fall delivery only. This is not required. It is a friendly service and fundraiser for the IRHC.

Generally, there is one closet per resident. However, in some of our facilities the closet may be shared by the roommates.

There is one port for each resident in the room.

Each room has beds, desks, refrigerator, chairs, mattresses, closets, dresser(s) and a recycle bin. Each residence hall is different please visit the building description pages to reference hall specific furniture. The furniture that is provided for each room must stay in the room and can not be stored.

Lofts are not permitted in the residence halls or apartments. This includes using concrete blocks to elevate the bed.

The residence hall buildings are under contract with Paul's Pest Control Service in Tallahassee. If residents have a need for additional treatments, please visit the Front Desk of the hall to sign up for the service. Paul's Pest Control provides service on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Pets are not permitted in the residence halls except for fish in small bowls or aquariums that are limited to a 10–gallon capacity.

Each residence hall room is equipped with a telephone line. Students can contact CenturyLink, directly, to arrange phone services. Students are responsible for all fees associated with phone services.

Kitchens are provided in the buildings in the suite style halls. Cooking in the suite style residence hall rooms is not permitted due to health and safety concerns. Residents can cook in the common kitchens, and once any small personal appliances are cooled, they may be stored in the resident’s room. Residents in apartment style facilities are permitted to cook in their kitchens provided within their apartments. Any small appliances must be less than 700 watts.

Residents are not permitted to affix, attach or bolt any items to any wall in their residence hall room. If items are found affixed, attached or bolted, the items will be removed and the wall fixed immediately at the resident's cost.

Storage of personal items is confined to the inside of the apartments or residents may rent storage spaces from local storage vendors.

Yes. All residence halls have sinks inside the student's living space.

Recycling of plastic bottles and aluminum cans is easy and convenient in University Housing. In Azalea, Broward, Bryan, Cawthon, DeGraff, Deviney, Dorman, Gilchirst, Jennie Murpree, Landis, Magnolia, Ragans, Reynolds, and Wildwood recycling chutes are available in each floor trash room. If you live in Salley, McCollum, or Rogers recycling containers are placed on each floor. Paper recycling is located at the front desk of each hall. A recycle bin is provided for each room. For more information regarding recycling and sustainability in your hall, click here, or speak with your floor RA.

Return to
top of page

Division of Student Affairs at Florida State University


University Housing Department
Division of Student Affairs
109 Askew Student Life Building
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306

Phone: 850–644–2860
Fax: 850–644–7997

University Housing: