Night Staff Job Description and Application Process
Night Staff are paraprofessionals who are responsible for maintaining safety and security in the residence halls between the hours of 10:30pm and 7:30am. They work closely with University Housing staff and the Florida State University Police Department to address any safety concerns that occur in the halls. Night Staff may confront issues of policy, safety or security, as well as work in conjunction with hall staff to assist in times of emergency or crisis. Night Staff assist with the desk operations, completing administrative tasks, as well as communicating frequently with the Night Staff Supervisor throughout the night to ensure that he/she is informed of what is happening in the building.
- A cumulative FSU grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 at time of application and employment (transfer students may not use the GPA from their former institution)
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA throughout the period of employment as Night Staff and at least a 2.5 semester GPA each semester employed as Night Staff
- Must maintain full-time student status during the fall, spring and summer while employed
- All students who become top candidates for this opening must be in good conduct standing with the University.
- Must be able to pass a Police Background Check
- To be alert and awake during Night Staff shift
- To serve as a resource to residents that need a assistance between the hours of 10:30pm and 7:00am
- To thoroughly document all hall activity in the front desk logs and/or through the online documentation system
- To act as a liaison between residents and University Housing.
- To be thoroughly familiar with all university and residence hall regulations and to be responsible for their enforcement. As official university staff members, Night Staff assume responsibility for maintaining a level of behavior consistent with the educational philosophies of the university.
- To assist Housing Maintenance by reporting needed repairs or other concerns in the assigned area to the Facilities Supervisor.
- To work a shift in a residence hall during evening hours on weekdays and on weekends on a rotating basis. The Night Staff Coordinator and/or Assistant Coordinators arrange and approve the Night Staff schedule. Staff are required to work during Thanksgiving break as assigned. Staff will be asked to work during university breaks as needed.
- To prepare reports and materials designated by the Night Staff Coordinator/Assistant Coordinators.
- To attend centralized Night Staff trainings, bi-weekly staff meetings, and to participate in staff recruitment processes as deemed necessary by the Night Staff Coordinator, Assistant Coordinators and University Housing staff.
- To be responsible for the performance of the above named duties as well as any additional duties assigned by the Night Staff Coordinator and/or Assistant Coordinators.
Night Staff start at $8.30/hour. Night Staff Supervisors start at $9.20/hour.
All Night Staff are required to participate in all scheduled training and staff meetings. Intensive training will take place at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters. Staff development and training sessions will be held regularly throughout the year.
Night Staff applications will be accepted during the following time frame: September 15 – October 10, 2014. The application database may open at other times during the year if we are in need of applications. Please remember that your application only remains active for 90 days.
These positions require compliance with University confidentiality policies.
Before starting the application please know the following:
You will fill out TWO SEPARATE applications:
- Please complete the Housing application by clicking CLICK HERE below.
- You will have to sign-in to the application process. You need to make sure account name and password is checked off, you are NOT a guest. The username and password are both nightstaff (all lower case)
- You will need to know what your FSUSN is. This is not your FSU card number or FSU ID.
- You will have to complete the application in full to submit a completed application.
- Click Submit at the end of the application. You will see a confirmation once you are done.
You are now ready to fill out the Night Staff Employment Housing application.
- Next complete an official application with the University. You must fill out both of these applications in order to be considered for this position. To complete the Florida State University application now, go to: https://jobs.fsu.edu/Content/OmniShell.cfm and type in Night Staff in KEYWORDS and click search. You will then see the Night Staff job and click Apply now. Follow the directions from there.
If you do not have an application on file in both locations we are unable to interview you.
Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email to schedule an interview time.
If you have any questions or problems please contact the Night Staff Leadership team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.