Please note that there may be some changes to the compensation packages offered in the future.
Assistant Coordinator: The Graduate Assistant for Residence Life is a graduate student employed for 20 hours weekly. The Graduate Assistant for Residence Life reports directly to a professional Residence Coordinator or an Assistant Director for University Housing. The following are general responsibilities for the Graduate Assistant for Residence Life position:
- Participate in student staff supervision and/or student group advising
- Promote the professional and personal development of student staff and student group advisees
- Implement crisis management protocol and participate in an on-call duty rotation for an area of campus
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, and training for student staff
- Serve as a hearing officer for student conduct
- Collaborate with campus partner to provide academic support and promote student development
- Engage students through large-scale event planning and programming
- Support community development efforts within the residence halls
- Assist with area and departmental administrative initiatives
Other functional responsibilities may include (but are not limited to): Direct hall management; Overseeing the Night Staff program; Co-advising special student leadership programs (Inter-Residence Hall Council, National Residence Hall Honorary); or Co-advising the Residence Life Conduct Board.
Additional Information: An on-campus apartment, stipend and a partial tuition waiver is provided as a part of the compensation.
Training for all graduate assistants occurs in July.
Generally, we seek students with significant residence hall experience at the undergraduate level (i.e. hall government, RA, etc.). Please keep in mind that we have a strong graduate academic program in Higher Education Administration and many of our Assistant Coordinators come out of that program. While we have had graduate assistants from other academic programs, the majority are in Higher Education Administration.
For more information regarding Higher Education Visiting Days click here.
Graduate Assistants must be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking graduate student at Florida State University.
Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to call (850) 644-2863.
Background Check Requirements
These positions require successful completion of a criminal history background check.
These positions require compliance with University confidentiality policies.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.